Welcome. I’m so glad you’re here.
I’m Jennie, a licensed integrative clinical nutritionist and functional medicine practitioner. Most people are surprised to learn that I wasn’t always a nutritionist. I actually began my career as an intellectual property attorney, and it was my own personal journey with food that inspired me to go back to school and get my Master’s degree in nutrition and integrative health so that I could help others navigate their own health, nutrition and wellness journeys.
After years of struggling and eventually finding wellness in my own life, I realized that looking at food in isolation from our biochemistry, physiology, spirit and psyche just doesn’t work. So, I undertook to combine all of these elements in a single approach. The result is a 7-factor methodology that I’ve used to help clients who’ve felt hopeless, lost and confused around food, health, nutrition and their bodies -- so that they can find hope, feel empowered and get results that they never thought possible. My methodology looks at your whole person and is completely customized to provide support in the areas where you’re out of balance so that it’s possible for you to create lasting change and wellness.
Here’s what a couple of my clients had to say about my approach:
The 7 factors of my methodology are: (1) Body Nourishment, (2) Mindful Nourishment, (3) Balance, (4) Biochemistry, (5) Soul Nourishment, (6) Self-Care, and (7) EFT.
During your initial consultation, we will go through each of the 7 factors so that we can discuss where you’re already thriving, and where you're struggling (which is where we’ll focus our work and support). You can read more about each of the 7 factors below:
Body Nourishment is about eating beautiful, delicious, nourishing food that makes you feel radiant from the inside out. Body Nourishment is anti-inflammatory, whole foods-based, nutrient-rich and designed so that you can figure out which foods work for your unique body in a way that maximizes your health and helps you reduce or eliminate food sensitivity symptoms. Body Nourishment is also about discovering new recipes, finding delicious ingredient replacements and learning new strategies for implementing your diet in the real world. When it comes to making changes to your diet, we always honor where you’re at and move at the pace that’s right for you.
With Body Nourishment, I also provide specialized, anti-inflammatory nutritional support for the following health conditions: detoxification, autoimmune conditions, GI issues, IBS, candida, SIBO, PCOS, Hashimoto’s, Adrenal Dysfunction, Thyroid Dysfunction, Endometriosis, Interstitial Cystitis, Celiac Disease, fatigue, energy issues, and inflammatory issues. I also provide prenatal and postnatal nutrition support. And, I use the Fasting Mimicking Diet with certain clients after they’ve incorporated anti-inflammatory dietary changes.
Parts of my Body Nourishment methodology have been featured in:
Here's what a few of my clients had to say about my Body Nourishment methodology:
Mindful Nourishment is about getting in touch with your natural appetite and using mindful practices to help optimize your digestion. It’s also about cultivating the right mindset so that it’s possible to implement Body Nourishment in a sustainable, lasting way in your life.
Parts of my Mindful Nourishment methodology have been featured in:
Balance is an important part of making your new way of eating sustainable. With Balance, we’ll make sure that you have an arsenal of delicious, healthy, whole foods-based treats to enjoy. We’ll also work together so that it’s possible for you to enjoy indulgences without guilt or shame in a way that doesn’t derail you.
Parts of my Balance methodology have been featured in:
Sometimes, even if we’re making major nutritional changes with Body Nourishment, we have to dig deeper into your unique Biochemistry to bring your body into balance. As a practitioner of functional medicine with extensive training in functional labs analysis, I will often integrate one or more functional labs in our work together depending on your specific health issues so that we can look at what’s happening with your underlying Biochemistry -- this can help us determine if we need to adjust what you’re eating and add in additional nutritional supplementation support.
Here is the list of the *functional labs that I currently provide nutritional analyses and support for in my practice:
- Micronutrient: this test provides a comprehensive assessment of both extracellular and intracellular levels of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants, and fatty acids. It enables us to examine not only whether you’re deficient in a particular nutrient, but also whether you’re actually absorbing the nutrient in your cells.
- Organic Acids: this test provides a comprehensive metabolic picture and includes markers for oxidative stress, detoxification, mitochondrial function, neurotransmitters, vitamins and antioxidants, fatty acid metabolism, amino acid metabolism, oxalates, yeast, and bacteria.
- Gut Health: the primary test that I work with not only looks at markers for zonulin (i.e. “leaky gut”), intestinal inflammation, intestinal immunogobulin (IgA) levels and enzymes, it also looks at bacteria, yeast, and parasites. Food and nutritional supplement support are critical for supporting the gut and bringing it back into balance.
- Adrenal: this test measures free cortisol, free cortisone, cortisol metabolites, cortisone metabolites and DHEAs. Customized adrenal support involves a combination of food, nutritional supplement support and self-care practices.
- Comprehensive Hormone Panel: this test measures levels of estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, cortisol, DHEA-S and their respective metabolites and also includes 3 organic acid markers and 3 neurotransmitter markers. Food and nutritional supplements can be powerful tools for balancing hormones and altering the way you metabolize hormones.
- Thyroid Panel: this test looks at multiple thyroid hormone markers, including T3, T4, Free T3, Free T4, TSH, Reverse T3, Anti-TPO antibodies, and Anti-TGB antibodies. For clients with with imbalanced thyroid hormones or thyroid antibodies, I am able to provide specific nutritional support recommendations to help support thyroid hormone balance.
- Food Sensitivities: I often use this food sensitivity panel with clients that have IBS, migraines, fibromyalgia and other inflammatory conditions who are still experiencing symptoms after an elimination diet. I may also recommend one of the Cyrex Labs food sensitivity Arrays depending on a client’s particular issues.
- For clients with labs presenting with high levels of certain heavy metals and/or environmental toxicity, I am able to provide specific nutritional support recommendations to help support the detoxification process.
*Functional labs are not diagnostic and any nutritional support recommendations tailored to functional labs are designed to address biochemical imbalances and are not intended to prevent, diagnose, treat or cure any disease or condition.
If you cope with stress, loneliness, boredom and emotions through food, Soul Nourishment is designed to give you new tools to replace your old habits and provide you with a healthy way to fill yourself up emotionally. It’s also designed to help you find ways right now to cultivate the positive emotions that you hope to achieve when you reach your goals, no matter where you’re at in your journey. With Soul Nourishment, we approach your food journey from a place of love and kindness and let go of self-punishment, shame and the beat-yourself-up mentality. Some of the tools that we’ll use in Soul Nourishment are meditation, EFT, gratitude practice, spiritual practice, visualization, and journaling exercises.
Parts of my Soul Nourishment methodology have been featured in:
Sleep, movement and stress all have a profound impact on your health and directly impact your biochemistry. For example, one night of sleep deprivation increases ghrelin, the “hunger” hormone that tells your body to eat. So, if you’re always sleep deprived, it will impact your hunger levels and your ability to implement Body Nourishment and Mindful Nourishment in a sustainable way. Together, we’ll identify areas of Self-Care that may be impacting your biochemistry, health and body goals and create strategies designed to help you bring your Self-Care into a better balance.
Parts of my Self-Care methodology have been featured in:
I have found in my practice that many of my clients that have an autoimmune condition experienced a traumatic event within the year prior to the onset of their condition and/or in childhood. I’ve also found that specific events can be triggers for an unhealthy relationship with food. And, that limiting beliefs, generally formed from numerous, similar specific events, can also prevent a person from achieving their health, nutrition and weight goals. As an Institute for the Psychology of Eating certified coach and a certified EFT energy practitioner, I may use EFT with clients in these situations.
EFT or Emotional Freedom Techniques (sometimes called tapping) is an energy-oriented technique that’s based on the newly emerging field of energy psychology. EFT is not therapy, nor is it a replacement for therapy. Rather, the goal of EFT is to support energy imbalances, and the energetic impact that thoughts, beliefs and emotions have on your body. EFT’s underlying premise is that disruptions in your body’s energy system cause negative emotions. It’s thought that EFT clears these energy disruptions, restoring balance, and supporting physical, emotional and spiritual health.
In my practice, I use EFT with the intention of clearing energy disruptions and reducing the emotional charge surrounding specific traumatic events impacting my clients’ health, body and weight issues.
In Parts I & II of my article on EFT in The Chalkboard Magazine, I describe EFT in detail, including scientific research studies published in peer-reviewed journals that support use of Clinical EFT for a multitude of issues.
Parts of my EFT methodology have been featured in:
Here's what some of my clients had to say about my EFT methodology:
*Although EFT appears to have promising emotional, spiritual and physical health benefits and there is a growing amount of scientific research indicating that EFT is an effective evidence-supported method, EFT has yet to be fully researched by the Western academic, medical, and psychological communities and, therefore, is considered experimental. The practice of EFT is self-regulated and the State of California does not license EFT practitioners and considers EFT to be an alternative or complementary medicine approach.
EDUCATION, TRAINING + CREDENTIALS
My methodology is also supported by extensive education, training and certifications, including my credential as a licensed nutritionist:
- UCLA, Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- UCLA School of Law, Juris Doctorate, Order of the Coif
- Maryland University of Integrative Health, Master of Science in Nutrition and Integrative Health, Human Clinical Nutrition Concentration
- Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) credential via the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists
- Licensed Dietitian-Nutritionist (LDN) in the state of Pennsylvania.
- Institute for the Psychology of Eating, Certified Coach
- Institute for Integrative Nutrition, Certified Nutrition and Wellness Coach
- EFT Universe, EFT Certification
- Epicurean School of Culinary Arts, Professional Chef I and Professional Baking I Certifications
I’ve also taken all of the Institute for Functional Medicine’s Advanced Practice Courses, including:
- Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice
- Hormone Advanced Practice
- Energy Advanced Practice
- GI Advanced Practice
- Detox Advanced Practice
- Cardiometabolic Advanced Practice
- Immune Advanced Practice
And, I’ve taken additional Functional Medicine Training Courses in:
- Small Intestinal Bowel Overgrowth (SIBO)
- Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) Axis
- Functional Blood Chemistry Analysis
- Reproductive Hormones
- Hormone Metabolite Assessment
- Thyroid Hormones
If you would like to book an initial consultation with me, you can do so here:
Initial Consultations are priced at $350.
Standard follow-up sessions are priced at $225.